Tuesday, January 24, 2006


I should put a little disclaimer on these entries about how the 5 year Vera anniversary + PMS = sap attack! It's in full effect.

Somehow I made it through this weekend's festivities without any outbursts of sobbing or hiccups. I think I got some of it out in the prep week.

Friday night was incredible. Justin, the booking intern, put together a party and created a slideshow out of our photo archive. When it first came on on the big screen I had one of those sudden realization moments. Whoa, that was already and only 5 years ago. Whoa look at all the stuff that's happened. Whoa, look at all the documentation of my really bad hair days. The new ED made little buttons with my face on them and handed them out to everyone. They also inserted some very awful photos of me into the slideshow. It was embarrassing and so incredibly sweet. I thought my heart might pop. Schoolyard hereos played as surprise guests and reminded me of how far we've all come, watching them grow from talented teenagers to amazing and intelligent musicians and performers. Could it get any better? Yes. A zine was made by some of Vera's most precisous volunteers (pictured above) and then a great double dutch session broke out. Favorite zine quote, "not to disparage the boy scouts of america, but I learned more at Vera than I ever did there." These are the things I love about Vera.

Saturday, we tried to recreate some magic at the Showbox with a sold out show of the Blood Bros, Minus the Bear, These Arms Are Snakes and Crystal Skulls. There was a reception to greet the new directors and Jim McDermott came and hung out. I bought him a drink. How cool is that? Later on as some between-song banter, Jordan from the blood brothers said "you always feel welcome at the Vera Project" and i think that was the best thing that I could ever imagine being said about Vera. But at the same time, I could feel my heart detaching. The crowd at the Showbox didn't really get it or care and I started to feel like I was dying for a break from the self-congratulatory nature of the event. we should have focused more on volunteers, on board members, on all the people that are the community that makes up Vera. I definitely don't want to see my name or pictures of me anywhere having to do with Vera for a while. It has to be more than that by now. I think it is. I want the story to be told like that. no more founder talk. i'm so over it.

why does it have to be pissing rain again? Can't a girl just go for a walk without getting wrapped up in rubber or plastic?


listening to: tyler potts | 52 songs because I'm a sucka for it. . . and him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home